Sunday, January 5, 2014

Back to School

Well, school starts tomorrow...I have mixed feelings about it. I am looking forward to learning new things but not looking forward to homework and exams. Hopefully this semester won't be as brutal as last semester since I will be taking 14 credits instead of 17 (as soon as I finish my final for my online class which I plan on taking Thursday--wish me luck!).

Overall, I am looking forward to my classes. The only that I'm not really excited about is statistics. Math and I don't get along and Stats is a form of math...so we shall see. Stats also happens to be my first and last class of the semester. Such a fun way to begin and end the year...There are also 889 people in my class. That's a lot of people. Most of them are probably freshmen since it's an intro.

There are 2 classes that I am particularly looking forward to. They are my family life classes. One of them will help me figure out what I want to do with my family life degree because I have absolutely no idea. What I do know is that I want to take what I learn and apply it to my family, not be a therapist/counselor, and that's about it. The other class that I am looking forward to is a marriage enhancement class. Dallen is being such a sweetheart and is taking it with me. We already were assigned readings to do for tomorrow and it was fun reading with him. One of the books we had to read has fun activities to work on together. It's called Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman.

This break has gone by quickly, but soon enough it will be summer. Only 4 more months!

2 comments:

  1. 889 students is not a statistics class, it's a statistical nightmare!

    Really, it's more about logic than about math. There are formulas in it, yes, but Dallen can help you with that, and it's just a way of learning to think about numbers and life. My favorite lesson from stats 221 is that if you start reading of studies that something is good for you, look at who is sponsoring it. If a milk study is sponsored by a state milk advisory board, for instance, it's likely that the results are biased.

    I wonder if Dallen should audit that class since he doesn't need any more credits toward graduation. Then, too, he could skim homework if needed to make sure he focuses on those difficult engineering class--and to help you with stats if needed. Just a thought. I'm glad he's taking it with you, though. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree. It will be like American Heritage all over again!

    I'm hoping Stats won't be as bad as my brain is making it out to be, since this class is actually required for my major. As a matter of fact, it's a prerequisite for a lot of my upper level classes.

    We thought about having him just come to the class, but the Professor prefers it if couples take it together to lighten the course load a bit. Plus, it's only twice a week in the early evening (4-5:15). We accidentally read the wrong chapter and that is how we found out about the activities. The chapter we were assigned to read for tomorrow didn't have an activity (mainly because it was an introduction to the book).

    ReplyDelete