Sunday, March 9, 2014

Winter Semester in a Nutshell

Almost a month of school left. YAY! I am SO ready for it to be summer. No school, no homework, no coat, warm weather, flip flops, shorts...the list could go on and on.

This semester hasn't been too bad. Not as bad as I thought it would be anyway. Stats isn't as scary as I thought it was. The 800+ students that I thought were just in my lecture section turned out to be all students in STAT 121. There's more like 300+ students in my lecture section. All in all stats is going pretty well.

My other classes aren't too bad either. I still don't know what I want to do, job-wise, with my Family Studies degree. I'm supposed to write a 2-3 page paper about 2-3 careers I want to use it for in my Intro to School of Family Life class. Does a stay-at-home mom count as a career? I'll probably write about how I want to use it in daycare or preschool. I think doing something with the marriage aspect would be fun, too (since a few of my upper level classes plus the 2 I took this year are marriage classes). I really like things pertaining to marriage/weddings. It makes me happy. Anyone have any ideas? I know I don't want to do counseling.

Marriage Enhancement is fun. I like the activities the books have. A lot of the stuff is just building upon the things I learned in Marriage Prep, which is good. Some of it is stuff I haven't really learned before.

Medicinal Plants is also pretty fun, even if we are given pop quizzes. The quizzes aren't so bad though (it's mostly just points if you show up to class that day--sometimes they are real quizzes, but the professor tends to give pretty big hints to what the answer is). I like learning what various cultures used various plants for. Some of the uses that were traditionally used have shown to really work, but a lot more studies need to be done to see if the majority of traditional uses really do work.

Living Prophets is great. I love reading various talks by the prophet and apostles. I also like that we have a doctrinal project to work on throughout the semester. My project is on Sanctity of the Body. I wrote a paper, similar to one you would find in the Bible Dictionary, explaining what Sanctity of the Body means. We then have to take that paper and apply to our life. Part of what I studied was on modesty (although that is not one of the subtopics that I wrote about but is similar to treating your body like a temple), so I decided to take a few of my dresses that were a little short when I would sit down or walk up stairs and add length and sleeves (to one dress, the other has sleeves already). I'll probably go to the temple too for another part of the project. Haven't completely decided yet.

Doctrine and Covenants Part 2 is pretty awesome. I love it when religion classes are all about focusing on the scriptures with just a little tiny touch of history.

I also learned that I really like being a TA. I was really nervous at first because I had to grade papers and didn't want the students being mad for what I gave them, but it's not too bad. I haven't had anyone tell me that they think their score should be different. I'm hoping I can TA next year. We'll see though.

If anyone wants super fun religion classes to take, I advise taking REL C 324 (D&C Part 1) and REL C 333 (Living Prophets) from Sister Morgan. She's the best! Seriously. She really is. REL C 325 (D&C Part 2) from Brother Sweat.

I didn't intend for the blog to end up being about my classes, but hey it's what came to mind I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment