Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Dear Facebook

April 7, 2015

Mark Zuckerberg
CEO
Facebook
1 Hacker Way
Menlo Park, California 94025

Dear Mr. Zuckerberg:

I have been a Facebook user for seven years. Overall, I have been impressed how Facebook has changed and the way it is run. However, there is one change that I would like to suggest. The change I would like to address is that of reporting nudity, specifically clarity of how you define what is appropriate and inappropriate.

Over the past seven years I have only had to report nudity six times. Thankfully, this is not something that comes across my News Feed very often. When it has it mostly was from a friend of a friend tagging them in it or posting it to their wall. However, each of the times I reported the pictures I felt were inappropriate nudity, none of them were removed.

After going over your Community Standards page, I believe that some of the posts I reported are against your standards, despite your team’s decision. To help reduce confusion, it would be helpful to be more specific in your definitions. The terms that need additional clarification include: other art, digitally created content, and educational purposes. Knowing exactly what is meant by those terms will help alleviate confusion and will make it easier for other users to know what is actually inappropriate.

Also, I do not understand why a picture that shows everything except the nipple is acceptable, but a picture showing the nipple is not. I feel like if it is going to show everything except the nipple it should still be removed because it leaves nothing to the imagination and there is nothing special about that one small part of the breast.

Along those same lines, I do not understand why a photo that is fully focused on the buttocks is not okay, while a full-back nude shot is okay (e.g. photo showing someone from behind head to toe). Both photos are showing a person’s full bare buttocks.

I thank you for the terms you do have clarified and the work that your team does to keep Facebook a safe place. I hope you take my suggestion (and suggestions from others like mine) into serious consideration. Thank you.

Sincerely,



Helen Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment