I am probably one of the somewhat few that actually use the rating systems as a guideline to what I deem as appropriate. Not only that, I actually pay attention to the content label. For example, if something is TV-14 or higher I won't watch it, especially if it contains sexual situations, language, and violence. Same goes for movies PG-13 on up. I like things that are family friendly. I feel that most family friendly movies/shows are not terribly inappropriate most times.
Even though I am thankful we have a ratings system, I think it could use a bit of help, especially consistency-wise. It's crazy how a movie can be rated PG-13 for only 3 f-words but it's R if it uses more than that. It makes me curious where the MPAA and TV shows draw the line for sexual situations? There have been a few PG-13 movies that made me scratch my head wondering how this is something that is okay for a 13 year-old to watch when me as a 22 year-old am not comfortable watching it. I think it would be great if someday the MPAA will draw in experts to help rate these movies more accurately.
I too pay close attention to the ratings of shows and their content. One of the areas that I find myself with a strong stance on is "edited" for TV movies. A movie that is on cable networks is supposedly edited to a degree that makes it suitable for the common viewer. I am one that used to watch rated R movies when I was younger. My filter wasn't that selective as long as the movie was entertaining. Switching from that perspective to one committed more to LDS standards, I know that words or small clips of obscenities are not the only parts that illustrate the ratings. The story is important. The innuendos are too. There are moments when an edit, especially language, takes place where the word is said in your head as a filler even if not repeated on screen. I am well aware of what movies are rated R and have made a commitment to not watch any, even if I have seen them before, like the Matrix, which is an amazing movie, but I still won't, even on TV, because it can bring back the real scenes in my mind.
ReplyDeleteOverall, just because a movie is on TV doesn't make it suitable for watching as a Latter-day Saint/follower of Christ.