Wednesday, September 4, 2013

School, School, School

School is back in session as of yesterday (September 3). So far it isn't too bad, homework-wise. There is only one class left that hasn't started. It starts tomorrow. For the most part I don't mind my classes there was one I wasn't really looking forward to, so I dropped and added a different class.

I really enjoy being back at BYU. It's seriously a great place to be. The one thing I'm not looking forward to is deciding whether or not to continue majoring in Dietetics or switch to Family Life. There are a few reasons why I'm debating about switching majors. First, to even be accepted to the Dietetics program you need at least 300 hours of volunteer or work experience related to the program (dietary aid, cafeteria worker, etc). Right now I only have a max of about 30 or so...To add to that problem, I only have a few classes left to take before I run out of pre-Dietetics classes. The remainder of the classes is for the professional sequence. The application deadline for acceptance to the program is either in February or March. Out of all the people that apply, only 40 students are let in to the program per year. That's not a whole lot of students...Second problem, for one of my nutrition classes we had to take a pre-assessment quiz to see if we are ready to take this course and see if Intro to Nutrition and Chemistry need to stay pre-reqs for the class. I did not do as well as I hoped...I didn't fail, but I certainly didn't get an A on it. If it hadn't been two years since taking the pre-reqs, I probably would have done a lot better on the quiz. The nutrition class itself seems pretty fun. It helps that it is the same professor I had for my Intro to Nutrition class.

There are also a few reasons why I am considering switching to Family Life. One, I like learning about families. Two, I might be able to graduate sooner than if I stick with Dietetics. Three, it's an open program. No applying to get in the program.

I really do like learning about Dietetics and Family Life. They are both fun topics and super applicable for everyday life, which is why it is really hard for me to decide. Once I decide what to do, maybe I'll make the other class my minor. We'll see...Hopefully I figure this all out before Tuesday (the Add/Drop deadline).

No comments:

Post a Comment