Dr. Coyne asked the question today during lecture: "Does sex in the media bother you?" I didn't have to think about that question for very long because I knew the answer right away. Sex in the media does in fact bother me a lot. I really do not like it. There were shows that my husband and I stopped watching because there were just too many references to sex. *cough cough* Friends *cough cough* Sure there are funny moments in it, but there are just WAY too many references to sex in each episode. I almost stopped watching The Bachelor because I thought some of the scenes from the preview at the beginning of the season were eluding to the bachelor having sexual relations with multiple women throughout the season. When I got to those episodes I realized that the bachelor was not having sexual relations but that it was the editors (producers?) who made it seem like it was.
I feel like women are really objectified in the media (ads, video games, board games, TV/movies, magazines, etc). I think men also are objectified on occasion and that is not okay either. They are all children of Heavenly Father and they deserve to be treated as such.
Another reason why sex in the media bothers me is because our home is supposed to be like a temple. It's supposed to be a refuge from the world, a source of peace, a safe place for all to come and feel the Spirit. I try my best to keep my home like that. I want my home to be a like a piece of heaven on earth. I talk that I really love that's about making the home a place of peace is Elder Richard G. Scott's talk "For Peace at Home." It's so amazing. I think everyone should read it.
I am really thankful for all the things the Church is doing for those ensnared in addiction, those supporting someone ensnared in addiction, and materials we can use to teach children about pornography and why it is harmful and not of God. It really is great.
You go girl! I totally agree! I stopped watching Friends for the same reason. The point you make about our homes being a temple and refuge from the world is exactly what I think! Why CHOOSE to bring dirty garbage into our home. It is like going to the next door neighbors dumpster, pulling out 2 or 3 bags of trash, bringing them back to your living room and dumping them all over the ground and on your family! Gross! We just do not need to see that trash.
ReplyDeleteI agree that media can being a teaching tool and should be used as such, but when it comes to sex, there are very few, if any types of media, that portray sex appropriately with the appropriate consequences the good or the bad ,depending on the situation. I can teach my children about sex, they don't need to SEE it to know about it and be knowledgeable about it.
Amen sister! Amen!
I loved this. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI think this aligns fairly well with what we saw in Miss Representation about how the media skews things to make things make things seem more sexual, attractive, etc. than they really are. This totally messes with our perception of the world because we get the wrong messages, and think reality should match up with the media, but those in the media business are not showing things as they really are. It's sad that these things can still mess with people's view of themselves, their own worth, and the world we live in!