I love family history. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it is worth it. I spent almost 7 hours working on it yesterday, just trying to find all the censuses from one of my ancestors' life. I found all but two. No idea where his 1830 and 1840 census is...I looked everywhere it seems (FindMyPast, FamilySearch, Ancestry, USGenWeb...).
I didn't mean to spend that much time on it, especially since I had other homework/reading that needed to be done for other classes, but time just got away from me (plus, I had no idea it would take me that long to find seven censuses). At least, it's mostly done now. Hopefully, I will get it finished tomorrow that way I can focus on my other assignments.
If you haven't taken REL C 261, you should. I am learning so much about how to be better at family history and it is so great being able to get to know my ancestors more. It really helps me know that they are real people and not just names to take to the temple.
I do look forward to taking this family that I've been working on all semester to the temple at the end. I feel excited just thinking about it.
Yay for you!! Family history is awesome. I, too, am a big fan. I took REL 261 and remember that assignment. I have since learned so much about my great, great grandparents (who grew up in Provo, too)...I feel like I will know them when I meet them one day. I know we have talked about video game addiction...but sometimes I think I just might be addicted to--family history (haha)!
ReplyDelete